Total points: 100
1. Complete the following problems at the end of Chapter 3 of the textbook.
3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.6(b, c), 3.11
Note: for problem 3.5, assume the same pipeline design considered in 3.1 and 3.2.
2. [10+10 pts] The following series of branch outcomes occurs for a single branch in a program. (T means the branch is taken, N means the branch is not taken).
Index 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
T, T, N, T, N, T, T, T, T, N, T, T, N
(a) Assume that we are trying to predict this sequence with a Branch History Table (BHT)
using a 1-bit prediction. The counters of the BHT are initialized to the N state. Which
of the branches would be mispredicted? Show their indices.
(b) Repeat the above exercise with a 2-bit predictor as shown in Figure C.15 initialized to
• All homeworks should be done and submitted individually.
• Show all steps to get full points.
• Writing and drawings if necessary must clear and readable. Otherwise, substantial loss of points
• You must submit your solutions electronically via Canvas.
• The file for your solutions must be in PDF or MS-Word DOCX format.